we are playing with the laws of god




like the tooth of a child breaking open
any growth brings with it pain. 
to change means to burn to the marrow 
then gather myself back into newness. 
I now know the suffering of spring, 
the agony of renewal. 

with it, there is the uncertainty 
of leaving your old self behind like a lie; 
the frightening possibility of failing 
to find anything at all. 

I am burdened with fault 
on my skin I etched anger like a name, and my tongue 
tastes of a revolution: 
rising against myself, against the country where I was born,
I nourished rancour until my heart closed up  
like the mouth of a cave,
and handled the fire in my bones 
with a clear purpose of decline. 

darkness follows me like a faithful servant 
and pain - the old friend who never speaks. 
I believe they’re here for a good cause, 
and they stand by me with great regularity. 
I shall receive them gladly. 
They know me well. 

the rules are laid out with clarity, 
and I am no good player in life’s game,
but I would rather burn to come out clean
than take the happiness that blinds the fools. 



Comments

Popular Posts