Mollusk

my eyes grow heavy with appraisal,
the minute pain of each cry that serves faithful to its mouth; I shall not sleep till dawn 
and my life small enough to fit into one suitcase of fear, I know 
it’s the dance of death more graceful than that which loves 
like a holiday ticket or an unexpected guest
if the mind shrieks with its black tongue I do not care, 
but when one spews on me their crude love 
I fold up square as a lie 
and my body is sucked of life like the green breast of Putana 
my last breath white as milk and silent; 
I leave you like the mollusk detaching from its shell
it is us and pain, you said; and we grew from darkness 
and lover, I never sought the light as you, but remained 
you may leave, or stay, for that which stays will save me 
my heart is a seabed and gratitude gold, it opens to the one that holds it 
so quiet that it might crack or break 
I am so much to offer to him that stays despite my inability to sing. 

Comments

Popular Posts