Modern ties



I watch as this stagnant conglomeration of muscle, veins, the seldom scar
becomes a bright white screen on which you tap, tap, tap every night
the light reflects on the ceiling above fluctuating like a life 
in its machine-like motion in time with your fingers 
while the room is dark our bodies apart only your slow pulse 
touching my ear dissolving every second into silence
but what gives me the certainty of us is synchronised breath in and     out and in and out, 
the breath is the only part that is touching
from underneath the floral sheets I listen to the stillness between us 
that cracks like rice krispies, a stillness so loud the shards cut deep into my skin 
and I taste metal on the tip of my tongue where words struggle to come out 
while I keep them inside like mad dogs; and I know when you fall asleep
not because you turn round to bury your nose in my neck, 
not because our hands and legs grow into different types of knots,  
or because your lips sculpture goodnight on mine
but because the tap, tap, tap is no more 
and the bleached light from the phone screen becomes the unscathed darkness of sleep. 

Comments

Popular Posts