he doesn't like people leaving

the room where love simmered, thoughts sprinkled over
the four white walls 
is empty. They cleaned the nooks and crannies 
to remove all traces of my life. 

what became of me are four boxes 
containing eighteen years of photographs and diaries 
memories infiltrated between yellow pages and dry compressed flowers.

nothing ever stays with me. 
they all leave: the dawns and dusks 
absorbed with friends or lovers, hoping that those unslept nights 
will bring enduring friendships.

promises made while we could still taste wine on our tongues
and the soft summer melted on our skin
we never kept them. What fools, what fools.

there is an order here which drives me mad
days come and go in a dance of broken machinery 
I am scared of the uncertainties brought by each new day. 
I am terrified. 

it is a visceral love that I crave for
to kill the rickety feel of my life, always unstable 
every night I can hear it
falling, a chronic sound of 
hundreds of faces, of souls, of small babies, of red hearts
all mine
falling apart. 

breaking sounds of endings, soft goodbyes slipping out of your tongue 
footsteps further and further and further away 
until all is silent. Until all I can hear is my breath, so loud
a clock I cannot shut or turn off. 

I do not think I can take anymore endings, not even my own.
I was so sure I reached the bottom 
that I could fall no further. and yet I still go

down down down 
like a rock, unable to push itself back to the surface.

the temporality of it all scares me
as everything drops around me, no matter how hard I hold onto it
no matter if it is carved inside me: my heart drops with it. Nothing ever stays.

eighteen years of letting go, of learning to mend quick enough 
eighteen years of packing and unpacking my life in different places, 
moulding my soul to fit inside others
eighteen years of finding love and losing it.

I cement a small piece of myself in every place I had to let go of,
impregnate a miniature thread of my soul on every skin I touched, 
until all that remains of me are broken pieces 
scattered around worlds and hearts
like seeds 
dry and unharvested. 

Comments

Popular Posts