Unremarkable


I placed my soul in a glass jar - sterile and well preserved
It is so small, untouched by the world and still unbroken 

Only 
your meticulous fingerprints are carved on it -
I cannot obliterate such crucial evidence. 
I cannot mend the aching lacerations that you made,
I cannot annihilate the marvel of yesterday
the illusive prospect of a better life. 

What a fool, what a fool:
bedbound broken and blank 
my fat read heart is saturated
I am unmistakably exhausted. 

The world is crushed with such tragedies: nothing new, no miracles. 
Soon you will forget the vanilla girl with nothing to offer but words and colours 
clinging to you like a mad leech, 
a vampire yearning for love. 

I am that girl no more: dried up like a dead plant
empty, empty and yellow 
But my soul is sheltered inside the glass jar,
incapable of love, refusing to forget or to heal 
condensed like a fist, quivering.

I shut my eyes, I cannot bear this interminable winter, so brutal
it stripped me of all I had, it wiped out all the battles I won, 
it destroyed the footing I built for years and years and years. 

All it left is an imprint of all I was before, enclosed in
the same skin and the same bones 
but unsaveable and soulless. 

Comments

Popular Posts