Kingdom of the West

bags packed - no visa no passport 
light and orderly: take what you need - no more
5 am the world shut tight 
the world unknowing
so vulnerable at this time 

do not follow the signs, the arrows, the paths 
walked on by too many lovers, too many children
bearing heavy bags of apples happiness a toothbrush a dream
do not follow 

this is not a vacation, there is no coming back
the orange air of this new country melts on my skin
and an effortless warmth squeezes the cold from my bones 
until a last breath dissolves and dissolves

there is no coming back, from there
I will keep going through blue, red, yellow worlds 
turn spices on my tongue, spit languages I never learned 
touch skins of snakes and strangers 

I will laugh, laugh until I cannot hear the sounds
of bones breaking and hearts cracking inside me
I will cover my head and my body in a long djellaba 
cover my scars: eyes bare blue from another world 
thwarted by another world, 
seeking a kind of healing 
offered by this sizzling beauty of oceans and deserts

my hands will be cleaned by foreign seas and my heart
thawed by a change of scene, a change from the same 
faces, same words scattered on me, the same laconic days 
colourless and apathetic

bags packed and ready 
allowing no space for your shadows, no space to spare a thought
not anymore. 

the oppressive heat of my new world will evaporate
the frigidness you turned in me, it will colour me in
like a child’s howtodraw book -
from white and black lines 
I will become a painting of colours and brushstrokes.

there is no coming back

Comments

Popular Posts