Death daphne down done

You will drown in the tears I shed, salty and heavy 
endless endless.
The insomniac nights I spent, my pillow bloodied and your face
casting dark shadows on the walls of my room, your pain becoming my pain.
They will haunt you. My childish small hands, never a pianist hands,
have left small indentations as they grabbed your skin
a sign that I was there.
a sign that you cannot erase.

I glorified sadness and grief, I thought I could find 
beauty and truth in them. 
What a child I have been, constructing stories from my life and yours 
handling us like plastic dolls 
a marvellous story I tried to write
of kindred spirits and miraculous revivals. 

You cut me off like an umbilical cord 
useless and dry and yet holding a life at the end of it. 
I am of no use anymore with my pretty words that mean nothing
and my naive sentiments that do not mend your heart. 

I gave you my breath my soul my strength my music my words 
squeezing my heart until you were saturated with me.
You need me no more.
and yet, I had so much more to give, all now tightened inside me.
I have to seal the cracks, the holes.

Your cries, your agony still bedevil me 
every night, I try to hinder the images that do not let me sleep.
the lifeless pale face that I clutched days and days
became statuesque as before
you were back, robust and icy.
I should have known. 

I am back here, conquered and alone
a pile of bedsheets meat and bones deposed like a traitor.
Do not think I will forget 
or forgive.

In each and every crevice that you made, a daphne will grow out of it 
sweet-scented with rose-purple flowers.
I will offer the daphne
to you, a lover only for a winter that left me.
The poison of the scarlet berries
will stifle and kill you.
I will watch and remind you of the words you threw me as a sort of consolation:
you reap what you sow.

You scattered the noxious seeds inside me
and let them grow 
and let them kill.

Comments

Popular Posts