Drown

I have never been close to the sea. 
Always black, always distant and fickle
always spitting the dead corpse of a fish, 
or a knot of algae and weedy greens. 

I have always been scared of veils.
The sea, with her unstable cloak, her great facade
concealing creatures and stories;
unforgiving, swallowing all that comes in her way.

All that she offers me are knifelike stones 
that carve the ball of my feet, a trail of blood diffusing in the sand. 

And yet, I do love her. 
I come every night like a bewildered noctambulist
and listen to her vehement dance that grasps my ankles,
her submissive waves shattering against my body. 
I do not surrender; I hold onto the ground and absorb the pain, the frigidness 
that she hails me with. 

I always come back, defeated and frightened 
to find some sort of consolation in her. 
She is my only proof that I am not numb. 

Tonight, I will let go.
My fingers, desperately clutching at the erratic sand will unravel
and my feet will allow the algae to bind me with the sea -
an inexhaustible matrimony. 

The crevices and the cracks are no longer empty
as she fills me up with salt and water.
I longed for this all my life: for this indisputable love, this ardent treatment that no one offered 
but her.
I dissipate and dissipate
as I become one with the sea.  

Soon, she will spatter me out too
like a dead fish or a fossil
whose remains will erupt into a new life, raw and unbroken.

Endings, too, can be remarkable. 

Comments

Popular Posts