Brim

Anticipation is sizzling and crackling
every day, it builds and builds.
The minutiae of life is condensed inside me
and every sound, every move, every rotation of molecules 
terminates inside me.

I absorb with acceptance
the sorrows of this world.
Its despair becomes mine and like moist earth 
I swallow its sadness, black and colossal. 
I cannot adjust and transform. 

Dark and rotten is my call and
the dead smirk
and indefatigably watch me.
I hear their raucous laugh
sharp, it soothes me.

  The silence annihilates each year
as I wither and fade. 
I know that one day,
I will explode and the world will pour out, rusty and immutable. 
They said

I should shutter and survive
like they do.
Do not feel, they said, do not look
Do not tend, do not watch
Do not treasure. 

But I cannot.
Visceral roots pervade my body and command my every fear 
my every desire.

And so I cling to the moon and watch them all live 
as nothing will ever assuage my heart but the

brute phantoms who slither inside fitfully.

Comments

Popular Posts